The Tao of Bowling
I committed to joining a bowling league because I knew that if I didn't have something to make me get out of the house, I just wouldn't. It is good for my Fibro, exercise is the last thing my body wants but it is good for me, it manages my pain, it makes me talk to people and reminds me that the world is bigger than me. (something that has been a personal goal of mine)
Tao is a concept which found in Taoism, Confusionism and generalized in much Ancient Chinese Philosophy. While the character itself translates as "way" "path" or "route" it is often used philosophically to signify the fundamental or true nature of the world.
So what the heck does this have to do with bowling? Bowling has become therapy for me. As I have become more in tune with my mind/body connection. I have always had control issues. And during the last 6 months of my life I have certainly not felt as if I have had any control over anything. Realistically, none of us are in control of anything, but we like to think we are. Bowling is no exception.
Friction
A ball thrown down the lane will slow down over its course. The main cause of this is Friction. The magnitude of the friction between the bowling ball and bowling lane depends on what the surfaces are made of and the amount of oil on the lane, if there is any at all, and the mass of the ball. Some lanes will have no conditioning on it at all, while others will have oil placed to a certain degree on different areas of the lane. As the bowling ball travels down the lane, the friction between the ball and the boards will slow it down. The composition of the oil, and where it is more dense on the lane will have a different effect of the ball as it travels along the lane. The more oil that is laid down, the less friction there is between the ball and the lane surface.The less friction, the harder it is for the bowler to send the ball in a curved path imparted by the spin that the bowler puts on the ball at the instant of release.
The equation to find the kinetic friction is : µk=Fk/mg. µk stands for the coefficient of kinetic friction and Fk stands for the Force due to kinetic friction, m is the mass of the ball and g stands for gravity.
Gravity
What is gravity? The value of gravity (g) is 32 ft/s2 (feet per second squared) or 9.8 m/s2 (meters per second squared). This value is a constant, which means that all objects fall to the earth at the same rate of acceleration, no matter how much they weigh (there is some slight variation in the value for g depending where on earth you are located).
Nina
I know I over analyze everything in my life. Everything. So its not odd that I have began getting to understand much of my character and constitution each week that I bowl. Depending on the level of anxiety I am carrying I can feel it in my motions and my concentration.
I noticed that on nights that it had been a day of high conflict, each time I would throw my ball, the "crazy woman in my head" would scream a word of worry or fear to me. Sometimes it was so loud, I found myself looking around to see if anyone heard it. It was terribly uncomfortable.
Last week I made a big discovery. I am having trouble letting go of my ball. (control freak red flag anyone?) I would get up to the line and my hand was gripping the ball so hard it barely left my hand. Not letting go is typical of people like me. I practiced going up there relaxing my hand. It wasn't easy but it made a difference.
It appears I will be working on letting go gracefully the rest of the bowling season. I will be taking home the lessons I am learning from bowling. There is gravity, friction, and learning to release what I have no control over and accepting that what will be, will be, once my ball has left my hand. Once I let go.




<< Home